Ever since the Penguin update back in April/May this year everyone is now concerned about their link profile to their website. Google’s Penguin update went after blog networks, paid links, and links that have the same anchor text keyword in every link. Some sites used these link building practices before Google’s Penguin update and it worked. Now they are trying to clean up the mess and figure out what to do now for their small business’s link building plan.
Google’s view on Guest Posts for Links
Google’s View on Article Marketing, Widgets, Footers, Themes for Links
Google’s Views on Removing Links to your Website
Google’s Link Removal Tool
In the end, if you build a brand, be useful, and attract trusted, relevant links naturally you will win and build trust with Google for your own site. The problem is most “mom and pops” or small business owners don’t get the same benefit of naturally attracting a Wall Street Journal or CNN trusted media outlet linking to them like the bigger brands.
So what should you do as a small business owner in your local area when it comes to link building?
- Reach out to partners, suppliers, vendors that you have relationships with and ask for a link somewhere on their site or blog where it makes sense and is user friendly
- Sponsor local events in your area that have a website that list and link to sponsors
- Submit your site to local directories. You can use services like Yext to manage this process
- Get involved with Social Media or at least secure social profiles that allow you to add your website link to those profiles
- Use Press Releases to announce significant events at your company
- Reach out to local journalists and news personalities to offer content on their media platform that is useful and makes sense when it occurs
- Create content on your blog or a branded blog that targets your audience and is useful
- Get involved on blogs that are relevant to your industry leaving comments with your name/company name.
- Look for Forums to be involved in and add useful insights and answers to questions to be a productive member.
- Reverse engineer your competition’s websites, learning what they are doing that you are missing with your website that is getting them links. We can run backlinks for any website for you let us know if you need help.
- Find opportunities with educational or government entities in your local area where there could be a potential relationship with them and helping students or sponsoring a program to help other people.
- Find out what is the most popular searched keywords in your local area and learn what companies rank for those keywords to see if there is a way to form a partnership, sponsorship, or link.
- Target links on sites where you can actual get sales vs. just link to rank for a keyword
- Be sure to vary your link anchor text to have your name, company name, brand, and keywords. Also remember to link to different relevant pages to your website not just the home page. And use your contact us page for links in directories sometimes to mix it up.
Let us know if you have found success with any other link building techniques that turned into converted traffic and sales. Also, if you would like help with your online advertising and seo strategy call us at 888-863-7421